Tuesday, February 22, 2005

The right question

Ever asked, "God, what do you want me to do for you?" I have. I've been investigating this question lately. What can "I" do for an all-powerful, all-knowing, omni-present, infinite being that has always been and will always be?

Answer: nothing

What would He need me to do for Him?

Answer: nothing

What would He want me to do for Him?

Answer: believe in Him

John 6:28-29 28Then they asked him, "What must we do to do the works God requires?" 29Jesus answered, "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent."

Romans 4:3 What does the Scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness."

Why does He want me to believe in Him?

Answer: because that is the gate through which we enter into AND continue in the abundant life He's given us and the instigator of our allowing Him to live that life in and through us. Belief (how big our God is) is the gas that fuels the car of faith (our decision to want what He wants for us).

So...with that said ...maybe we have the wrong question. Maybe the question for 2005 and beyond is...

What is God going to do for you?

Thinking out loud here....

He's already given us "everything we need for life and godliness" (2 Peter 1:3) through our 'knowledge of Him' (our knowing Him).

What more is there for Him to do?

Eph 1:17I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. 18I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, 19and his incomparably great power for us who believe.

Phil 3: 10I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, 11and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead.

Answer: Open our eyes to what He's already done for us and what He is doing in and through us.

What more can God do for us?

2 Peter 1:8For if you possess these qualities (see 5-7) in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9But if anyone does not have them, he is nearsighted and blind, and has forgotten that he has been cleansed from his past sins.

Answer: Continually remind us.

John 14:26 But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

What more do you want God to do for you today, tomorrow, this week, year and life?

He said He would do anything you "ask in my name (according to His will)". So...what do you want God to do for you that you know is His will?

John 14:14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.

Conscious: Having an awareness of one's environment and one's own existence.

I want to be conscious of my walking in community with other believers.

I want to be conscious of my living/being in the Kingdom of God.

I want to be conscious of His presence all around me.

I want to be conscious of His life flowing in/through me.

I want to be conscious of His peace in the midst of whatever circumstances.

I want to be conscious of Christ as my life.

I want to be conscious of His eternal, unconditional love & acceptance of me.

I want to be conscious of my mind of Christ.


That's my short list...what are some things you would add

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home