Tuesday, April 05, 2005

In Him

A while back I was searching intently for what it means to "be the church". One day God spoke these words to me through a good friend.

I AM what you're looking for.

God uses I AM (all caps) in the scripture to describe Himself.

Exodus 3:14 God said to Moses, "I am who I am . This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.'

"It took me almost a year to realize what the Spirit was trying to teach me through that simple phrase (hard headed and too busy trying to figure out what it meant to "be the church"). One morning I was driving to Owensboro, KY and had made it as far as Morgantown when it dawned on me that I was searching for what can only be found in Jesus. Jesus is the beginning and end of everything. If you're looking to/for a person, activity, meeting, religion, organization, book, understanding or way of life other than the person of Jesus...you're looking in the wrong place.

Acts 17:28 'For in him we live and move and have our being.' As some of your own poets have said, 'We are his offspring.'

It doesn't read...

In religion - In being/or going to church - In AA - In reading the bible - In memorizing scripture - In doing good works - In being a good person - In 'whatever'.

We pursue these other things/people/orgs because we've not truely experienced the solution being in Him. Once we've rested in our relationship with Him, we might be part of these other things/people/orgs/etc, not as a result of "our needing something", but as an expression of Him through us...they're the outpouring of being in Him.

...but we must first realize and trust that it's Him we're looking for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home